Thursday, January 29, 2009

That's right, Mike, I stole your layout

This is a blog started in desperation. Mike May, one of the wittiest (funniest just doesn't do him justice), has refused to update his blog for so many months now, leaving his 3 readers in limbo, that I finally felt driven to start my own blog. I do so not only in the hope of replacing that lost voice, but to also chronicle my adventures. My adventures are not contained in a blog called "

Mike May's Adventures In Probability Management

as Mike so modestly named his but rather, "Two sheets on a cold night"

Years ago the Manufacturers Hanover Bank put up a new building at the foot of the Battery and, knowing that in time a building would be put up behind it, the back of the building was solid brick. They put up a sign on this 25 story brick wall that was cleary visible from the BQE as well as visible to all boats entering the harbor. The sign said "NEW YORK IS NEW YORK IS THERE ANYWHERE ELSE. I moved to the Dominican Republic almost ten years ago, September7, 1999 to be exact, and up until the move I believed that with all my heart and soul. I was the ultimate NewYork City chauvinist.
One of my great pleasures these days when speaking to someone up north is to comment on how cold their weather and to mention that it has really been quite cold here in Santiago. I then add that it was so cold the previous night that we actually had to use two sheets. Hence the blog name.
Like Mike I am also a Poker player. More about that, later

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to see that you finally fell for it. As you have probably figured out by now, my whole plan was to not make blog entries for a long enough period that you would be forced to start your own blog. Christi didn't really understand the logic of all this, but I told her it was fool proof. Thank you for proving her wrong.

    I will now go back to writing. However it may take a while for me to get anything up, so in the mean time you might want to join Facebook. I don't put much up there but some of the lesser photos and whatnots of MikeMaydom do end up there. I'm sure there are a million Mike May's up on Facebook even just in the New York area so look for the one that has Terence Sabol as a friend. That one should be me. Or actually you could just type Terence Sabol into the search box on Facebook and look at his friends. You're a grown man, I'm sure you can figure it out.

    Anyway, congrats on the new baby. I imagine there has to be a crime against nature sort of aspect to a poker player having such a beautiful young wife but I'm very happy for you all the same. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete